When Document Management Isn’t Enough – Here’s What to Do
If you have a Document Management system, and you’re still having trouble finding the data you need, there’s a problem! When document management alone hasn’t brought efficiency to your business, it’s time to figure out what went wrong…and fix it.
Managing files and documents has always been a big challenge in business. From the days of paper documents and multiple file cabinets to modern “data in the Cloud,” technology has come a long way! Today’s Content Management Systems are powerful software platforms that save time and money.
However, even the most powerful Document Management System won’t automatically improve your business efficiency. Here’s what it takes:
- Choosing the right solution, or combination of solutions;
- Oversight of the implementation; and,
- Training for the people who will use it.
Planning for Change
Going from paper documents to electronic document management is a Big Change for any business. It’s a change that impacts the way you work, the way you deal with your clients or customers, and the way employees relate to each other. Organizational experts tell us that how you manage change within your organization is predictive of how well the change will be received.
Follow these steps to lay the foundation for your change from paper to paperless:
- Get the entire management team on the same page. Employees develop a comfort level when they see management supporting the process. It’s critical that management shows support for going paperless and champions the new system when communicating and interacting with staff.
- Explain why you’re making the change to paperless. No one wants to change just to keep up with new technology, and many may even fear that their jobs will be eliminated, so it’s important to explain exactly how going to a paperless system will affect the staff and how their jobs will change.
- Get the employees involved. All change efforts should involve employees at some level, and moving to electronic document management is no exception. When changing work processes, it’s the employees who are doing them now that have the best ideas for improving them.
Choosing the Right Document Management Solution(s)
Sometimes document management is as simple as scanning documents and uploading them into a Cloud platform, but usually there much more to it than that. If you want to have a successful transition from paper to paperless, make sure that you choose a document management solution that:
- Accommodates all types of documents and data that you have (size and types of files, for instance)
- Is easy to use
- Is compatible with other software and systems that you use
- Is the best solution for your unique business
Don’t think that the entire solution must be limited to the correct software platform. Sometimes, outsourcing part of the process (like the mailroom – where paper comes into the system) just makes sense. Some of the most successful document management solutions merge outsourced labor to eliminate paper at its source with in-house processes to conduct business more efficiently.
Overseeing the Implementation
Implementation is the make-or-break moment. If you’ve planned carefully and chosen the right solution from the right vendor, the implementation process should go smoothly. Experienced document management and process improvement vendors are usually adept at making the transition from paper to paperless processes with little disruption to your every-day business.
For instance, we at Paper Alternative follow a step-by-step procedure, ensuring that your documents are scanned, and the data is accurate. We upload your data, set up and automate your processes. We hire, train and supervise any outsourced labor that you need, and finally we train your in-house personnel, so that your roll-out of the new paperless solution is successful. We don’t stop there, though. We stand behind our solutions with technical support, maintenance, upgrades and qualified personnel. Don’t settle for less.